Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

CHICAN'S CHOICE-MOSES UVERE-HEART CONDITION



ARTIST:MOSES UVERE
ALBUM NAME: HEART CONDITION
RATING SYSTEM:
Two spoons down-"Why are you making people listen to this?"
One spoon up-Good listen
Two spoons up-Hot!!!
Two spoons and a bowl-a classic in the brewing!!!

I have been eagerly waiting for a artist to have the ability to mix rap and rock together effectively. I believe i may have found the spokesman for the people...Moses uvere. This Dallas,Texas artist really surprised me. He didn't sound like your typical Texas artist (disclaimer-I'm not dissing the south or Texas artists-i was actually born in Houston). For "Heart condition", this album/ep to only have 6 songs (and one bonus song), Moses makes sure that there is a lot of content to take in. Nothing is crammed or forced in this personal transparent book of the life of Moses Uvere. Moses gives a feel between early grunge sound with swagged out lyrics. However, he has excellent story telling skills!I would honestly put him up there with the greats like Naz. If you don't believe me...then listen to "It's ok" and see if it changes your mind. Speaking of "It's ok", it's my second favorite track on the cd. Third, would be "open my phone" and first would be "fighting for more". Overall, this album gets two spoons up.You can find moses Uvere on facebook and twitter and also on his website http://www.mosesuvere.com. I can honestly say after listening to this album, Moses has led me to the promised land of mad skills and hotness. Check out the review:



Welcome-Lyrics:2 spoons up Beat:one spoon Favorite bar:" See I remember way back we were sporting dirty wave caps, cause our moms couldn't cut hair or fade that"
My favorite bar is the first thing you hear from this song and it just hooks you in from the beginning. It's a track of Moses reminiscing on his childhood and he makes it so clear and vivid-i feel like i was there. I can just ride in my car and just vibe out. I only have two problems with the track-which aren't really problems, but more of opportunities. First, i felt like i wanted to hear more keys or guitar throughout the verse. I like when the guitar kicks through in the middle of the verse, but i wanted to hear more. I understand on a storytelling track like this, the artist wouldn't want the music to overpower the vocals and focus on the lyrics-but those keys were so eerily good and i wanted to hear more. Secondly, I wanted the vocalist to have more in the chorus or throughout the song. He has a great voice! I can truly see this song finding placement on a movie. It captures the essence of being young and finding your way through life. Hey moses, i had Master P's "da last don" album too! Lol!

Open my phone-Lyrics:2 spoons Beat:2 spoons Favorite bar: You plus me equals more separation" I love this song! The lyrics and the beat mesh so well together! Moses's flow is so flawless on this track. I love the message behind the song. Everyone has gone through a "lust versus love" relationship. Moses really lives up to the theme of the album and keeps it personal and vivid on this track. Make sure you notice the effects he uses on the chorus to bring out the theme of the song. This truly is one of the best songs on the album and should go down as one of moses's best songs ever.

It's okay-Lyrics:2 spoons and a bowl Beat:2 spoons and a bowl Favorite bar (tie):"Now I'm running out the door and my feet all muddy/my moms starts yelling get back in the house honey" "you know it's degrading showing up on Monday wearing the same clothes you wore on Sunday"The transparency in this track is jaw dropping! This track has a perfect blend of sadness and triumph. The verses scream a life living in hell, but the chorus shines a heavenly hope. I feel that a video is definitely needed for this track.

Fly-Lyrics:2 spoons Beat:2 spoons Favorite bar:"I'm tearing up my city like John Hancock"I was waiting on a track where he was going to rock out on. This track is a good balance on the album. Moses shows his lyrical side on this track. It has a great party feel. I can see this track being a key performance track when he's doing shows. His cadence is nice on it as well.

Fighting for more-Lyrics:2 spoons and a bowl Beat: 2 spoons
favorite bar:"It's your time, but we waste it on getting wasted"
This track is the essence of the album. This song literally sounds like the heart of man is talking about how it feels (it's condition) of life. This song explores the inner soul. This song also puts me in the mind of kanye West's song (and flow) "all falls down" with a more spiritual view.

Clean Air-Lyrics:2 spoons Beat:2 spoons Favorite bar:"I'm going weary cause clearly I'm not a star" (he's from Texas)The beat gives me a feel of summer breeze. Moses is very good on picking tracks that suit him. My favorite bar in this song is one of the best double entendres I've heard in a long time.

Needing you-Lyrics:2 spoon Beat:2 spoons Favorite bar:"I'm living like a dead man with a dead plan that's gong to die"
I think this is a good track to end the album with. It goes back to the theme of the album of choosing in your heart what decision you wantto make in your life. I love the last verse when the drums come in on the last verse. Moses flips his cadence to a double time flow and sounds nice doing it.

So what's your thoughts? Do you feel that Moses goes down as one of the greatest story tellers on wax? Did he give a great visual of the "heart condition"? Did his style mix well with rock? Give me your thoughts good or bad and remember...spread the soup!

2 comments:

  1. GOOD WORK, VERY INFORMATIVE AND YOU MADE ME WANNA REALLY CHECK OUT THIS CAT OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @aj thanks sir! Make sure you go to his site and grab the album-fighting for more would sound good on the show! #spreadthesoup

    ReplyDelete